Monday, November 10, 2008

Yes.

Four cups of black coffee everyday,
Four times to sip slowly and remember
Us.
You’re still addicted to me,
Am I still addicted to you?

Yes.
Well, I cannot seem to get away.
And though I tried
One summer,
I could not shake your comfort
Or the longing for that purple fleece.

You gave me the Shins and Brushfire artists
So I listen and fall back
Into those same coffee memories and cream-colored skirt.
First flecks of snow--
As you watch me get ready.
I thought you fell in love with me
To the sound of “Butterfly,”
But I cannot be sure.

It may have taken me longer,
Until I got used to breakfast living.
However,
Four fall seasons later and I am there now,
Unable to forget the smell of French toast,
Or the feel of a Wellsburg Valentines Day.
Crunchy leaves remind
Of innocent first kisses,
And discovering the merry-go-round.

Me.
And you.
“Better Together”
(Most of the time).
Yet can we both believe it
Simultaneously?

Today,
I choose to sip black coffee,
At the same time as you,
Hoping the miles won’t seem so far,
And that you will say decide to say,
“Yes.”

No comments: